The First Look – one of the most controversial topics when it comes to a wedding day. I mean, this is one of the biggest decisions that brides need to make for their wedding day because this determines the whole wedding timeline! I wanted to talk about my thoughts about the matter and I want to make it clear that I am solely here to EDUCATE my brides! Let’s be real, most of you haven’t done this before and I think it’s only fair that I lay things out so YOU can decide what’s best for YOUR wedding! I would say about 70% of my brides decide to go forward with a First Look and the other 30% decide to wait until the altar…and guess what? That’s TOTALLY OKAY! However, like I said, I’m here to educate you so you can decide what you prefer to do!
Out of the 70+ weddings I’ve photographed along my journey of being a wedding photographer, something that has become crystal clear to me is that brides just truly want a REACTION from their future spouse! Don’t get me wrong, there is something so sweet about the traditional aspect of waiting until you’re walking down the aisle for your sweetheart to see you, but that doesn’t always mean you’ll get the reaction you were hoping for! I can’t speak for all men, however, in my experience I have noticed that they tend to suppress their emotions if they know that a bunch of people are watching them. Not only are guests watching him, they are often ANALYZING his every move trying to see the reaction of seeing his bride walk down the aisle! When you do a first look, it’s just the two of you and he’ll be able to really express his emotions without the pressure of other people!
I think most people will classify that the moment your future hubby sees you for the first time, whether it’s during a “first look” or waiting until the altar, as one of the most important parts of your wedding day! I mean, this is what you’ve been waiting for, right? What most don’t realize is after all the anticipation of getting dolled up, slipping on that gown and putting on those shoes, him seeing you walk down the aisle, he can’t tell you how amazing you look or give you a hug or a kiss. You can really only hold hands! And while, yes, he can tell you after the ceremony is over, there is something so magical of being able to tell you in the moment. When you do a first look, it is really the only time alone you’ll get together all day!
You’re investing a LOT of money in your wedding photography experience. When you do a first look, you’re able to have more time for your photography & video team to give you even more portraits that will last you forever! This will not only extend the time of the formal images for the two of you, but also give you more stress-free time for the wedding party AND family photos so you can go and enjoy your cocktail hour & reception without interruptions!
Normally, your wedding day would officially start the moment you walk down the aisle. But when you do a first look, it can extend your wedding day by up to 3 hours! You don’t realize how fast things will go until you get to your day and realize how fast it’s flying by and having those additional 3 hours can be so special! And the best part about this is that you get to spend more time with your guests! Instead of spending an 1-1.5 hours after the ceremony trying to photograph family photos, wedding party photos, and the photos of the you and your new husband/wife, you can go and enjoy your cocktail hour with your guests!!
“Choosing to do a “first look” is hands down one of the best decisions I made during the wedding planning process! It was such a precious moment between my now husband and I. Both of us were so excited and giddy the whole morning but we truly believe having the time to ourselves (and our photo/video team) before the ceremony settled some nerves. It made us both feel so much more comfortable and ready to take on and truly enjoy the day ahead. Having your photographer capture such an intimate, exciting, and sweet moment is priceless!”
“I chose to do a first look before our ceremony because I wanted to share that special intimate moment with my soon to be husband just him and I. I loved being able to have those few minutes with him really soaking in all the emotions of seeing each other for the first time. Also, it allowed us to capture most of our pictures before the ceremony giving us more time with our guests and just enjoying our wedding!”